Associate Faculty - School of Humanitarian Studies
Royal Roads University is seeking applications for Associate Faculty to teach in the BA in Justice Studies Program, in the School of Humanitarian Studies, Faculty of Social and Applied Sciences. Associate Faculty are not employees; rather they hold limited-term contracts to teach specific courses in our programs.
Royal Roads University is located in Victoria, BC. Its mandate is to offer professional degree programs with a focus on applied research. With a reputation for innovation, RRU is a leader in online delivery and primarily attracts learners who are working professionals.
The BA in Justice Studies is a broad-based, multi-disciplinary program that draws knowledge from academic disciplines including law, criminology, sociology, philosophy, political science, computer science, social work and public administration. The program integrates rigorous academic regimen with practical justice service skills thereby preparing students for careers in the public sector and non-profit agencies as well as non-government organizations, criminal justice agencies and other agencies dealing with justice-related issues. The program is offered as a 12-month on campus program, and in a 2-year blended delivery format.
As many of our courses are taught online, and all have an online component, we ask any new associate faculty to take an instructional skills workshop for teaching online. We provide this training for free once we have contracted an instructor.
To read more about our BA Justice Studies program, please visit our website at:
The course descriptions (titles below) can be found at:
- JUST300 Human Service Skills in the Justice Field
- JUST301 Canadian Criminal Justice System: Part 1
- JUST302 Logical and Analytical Thinking in the Justice Context
- JUST303 History and Philosophy of Law in the Canadian Context until 1867
- JUST304 Canadian Constitution JUST305 Civil and Administrative Law
- JUST306 Canadian Criminal Justice System: Part 2 JUST308 The Family
- JUST400 Alternative Dispute Resolution Mechanisms: Theory
- JUST401 History and Philosophy of Law in the Canadian Context from 1867
- JUST402 Public Policy and Justice JUST403 Comparative Global Legal Approaches and Philosophies
- JUST404 Justice Studies in International Law and International Organizations
- JUST406 Human Resources and Regulatory Environments
- JUST407 Critical Justice Perspectives JUST408 Exercises in Ethics and Law
- JUST409 Applied Research Project JUST410 Research Methods for Justice Practitioners
The successful applicant will have:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field; a PhD is preferred
- An academic and/or professional background in a field relevant to the course being taught
- Demonstrated teaching excellence at the undergraduate level in the area of Justice Studies or related field(s) is preferred
- Experience working within an interdisciplinary outcomes-based curriculum
- Experience teaching in both web-based distance education and face-to-face environments
- A teaching philosophy that is compatible with our Learning and Teaching Model
RRU provides a range of one-line and face-to-face instructional skills workshops free of charge for Associate Faculty.
To apply: Please forward (preferably in electronic format) a one page cover letter, your curriculum vitae, a one page statement of your teaching philosophy, and a list of specific courses in the BA Justice Studies program that you are qualified to teach to:
- E-mail: AFInquiries@royalroads.ca
- Please put BAJS Associate Faculty Teaching in the Subject Heading.
While Royal Roads University values all applications we receive, only those candidates chosen for further consideration will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide the names and contact information for three referees, and to arrange for the forwarding of degree transcripts directly from the granting institutions if requested.
RRU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration. We welcome you to visit us on-line at www.royalroads.ca for further information.