Communications Officer - Writer
This is a temporary full time recruitment due to a leave vacancy.
Under the strategic direction set by the Associate Vice President, Community Relations and Advancement, the communications officer will contribute to the work of the department and university to strengthen its reputation and its relationships with key audiences locally, regionally and nationally. Under the supervision of the Senior Manager, Communications and Alumni Relations, the communications officer will create and deliver communications collateral and activities in support of those strategic goals and priorities in the areas of community relations (which include communications with RRU’s internal community of students, alumni, faculty and staff and external community of media, government, businesses and organizations) and advancement.
By increasing awareness of RRU’s programs, research, initiatives, events and our accomplished alumni and by helping to enhance the university’s reputation, the Communications Officer - Writer supports the work of the department to protect and strengthen RRU’s reputation and consequently builds third-party support and resourcing for key university initiatives. The role therefore supports the university’s six goals and in particular the goal of achieving strong partnerships, responsive to its alumni and the communities it serves.
To be well suited to the role you will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline and minimum of five years’ related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Very strong writing skills, including experience writing feature articles, news releases and related communications materials
• Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office and the ability to easily adapt to new software and systems.
• Good organizational, project management and time management skills, including the ability to work to deadlines
• Strong inter-personal and verbal communications skills, including the ability to deal sensitively with critical issues
• Independent initiative, sound judgment and developed decision-making abilities
• Project management training and/or experience considered an asset
• Media relations and/or issues management skills and experience considered an asset
This is a temporary full-time position working on campus for 37.5 hours per week for approximately twelve months, with a recruitment range that starts at $42,864 per annum. The University is pleased to offer a percentage of salary in lieu of vacation.
To apply please forward your cover letter and curriculum vitae (preferably in electronic format) to:
Competition # 13-045-P0005
Human Resources - Career Opportunities
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road
Victoria, B.C. V9B 5Y2
Fax: (250) 391-2570 Tel: (250) 391-2511
The competition will begin on May 23, 2013 and will close on June 6, 2013; however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
While Royal Roads University values all applications we receive, only those candidates short-listed for further consideration will be contacted. RRU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration.
Please note that two of our heritage buildings, including Hatley Castle, have some areas that are not easily accessible to persons who use wheelchairs. Please call 391-2511 for information and assistance if you are dropping off your application in person.
If you are sending your application via e-mail, please ensure that your electronic file is saved in MS Word or Adobe pdf.