Director, Physical and Environmental Resources
This is a replacement recruitment of a regular full-time position.
Royal Roads University invites your interest in this exciting role as the Director, Physical and Environmental Resources. The Director is responsible for the effective and efficient management of the maintenance and operations of all university buildings, structures, roads, and capital projects and renovations. Through the direct supervision of two Operations Managers, the Director oversees the management of custodial and housekeeping services, grounds and gardening services, production and maintenance trades services, contracted security services, capital assets and logistics and the university’s emergency plan.
Our ideal candidate will ensure that campus facilities operations are effectively managed and developed to provide a safe and productive learning and working environment, and protects the integrity and sustainability of the campus with respect to its designation as a National Historic site. Your experience managing a complex, unionized workforce in a consultative and collaborative manner and excelling in service delivery makes you an ideal candidate. Your track record of solid financial management and project management experience is critical. You excel in establishing and maintaining good relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
To be considered, candidates will possess:
- An undergraduate degree in Engineering or a related discipline and at least 10 years senior management experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Completion of a Certified Facilities Management (CFM) designation is a definite asset.
- Solid understanding of building systems, mechanical, electrical, data communication, control systems, HVAC systems, elevators, power generation, plumbing, electrical transmission and transportation infrastructure.
- Project management experience including renovation projects. Knowledge of building codes, construction practices and other relevant regulations and legislation (i.e. WCB regulations, fire codes, etc.) pertaining to the safe operation of public facilities.
- Proven leadership capabilities including the supervision, development and evaluation of staff within a complex and large unionized workforce.
- Sound judgment and strategic decision-making abilities and the ability to meet project deadlines.
- Financial management including budget development; management of contracted services, and experience in tendering processes within the public sector environment.
- A service orientation and a commitment to working in a proactive, collegial manner with all university and external stakeholders.
In addition to a collegial learning and professional community, RRU is pleased to offer a comprehensive compensation package inclusive of health benefits and participation in the College Pension Plan. This is a regular full-time position working 37.5 hours per week.
To apply please forward your cover letter and resume (preferably in electronic format) to:
Human Resources - Career Opportunities
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road
Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2
Fax: (250) 391-2570
Tel: (250) 391-2511
The competition will begin on June 10, 2013. Review of applications will begin on June 24, 2013; however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
While Royal Roads University values all applications we receive, only those candidates chosen for further consideration will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide the names and contact information for three referees, and to arrange for the forwarding of degree transcripts and professional accreditation directly from the granting institutions.
RRU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration.
We welcome you to visit us on-line at www.royalroads.ca for further information.