Faculty, School of Communication and Culture
This is a replacement posting for an existing position.
Royal Roads University invites your interest in a Faculty appointment at the rank of assistant, associate or full professor within our School of Communication and Culture in the Faculty of Social and Applied Sciences. As a full-time core faculty member, you will play a key role in the delivery of the school’s communication programs.
The School of Communication offers three degrees in communication studies which are focused on the theory and practice of professional communication in a wide range of contexts including media, organizational and intercultural. We stress a critical-professional educational approach. See our website for more details.
Our ideal candidate is passionate about helping others achieve their academic pursuits and will have demonstrated teaching experience at undergraduate and the graduate levels in the field of professional communication studies, an ability to work as a team member within an interdisciplinary outcome-based curriculum, and administrative experience and abilities preferably in a University academic setting.
In recognition of the anticipated rank of the role, preference will be given to early and mid career scholars whose research and teaching contribute to the fields of communication and culture as they intersect with digital communication and media including topics related to cultural production, social media, digital design, technoculture, and big data.
Royal Roads University is committed to appreciating and celebrating the diversity of students, faculty, and staff. We strive to increase understanding and acceptance of each other, thereby making us more compassionate human beings and strengthening the fabric of our communities. Experience working in diverse settings is essential to this position.
To be considered, candidates will possess:
- Doctorate or ABD in Communication
- Demonstrated teaching excellence at the undergraduate and graduate level (employing adult learning and applied learning principles) in the field of Professional Communication
- Experience with applied and action research methods
- Graduate student supervision experience and an understanding of the ethical requirements of graduate research
- Familiarity with online and face-to-face course design and delivery
- Experience in the integration and application of adult learning principles in course design and delivery
- Experience in the communication sector, and ability to develop networks in the field, both locally and globally
- Proven track record in research with an emphasis on practical application
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially as a team member with a variety of teams and stakeholder groups across the university (faculty, sessional faculty, practitioners, University staff and management)
- Demonstrated experience in an outcomes-based and interdisciplinary learning environment (preferred)
- Literacy in online and communication technologies as well as media production (preferred)
In addition to a collegial learning community, RRU offers a comprehensive compensation package, with a starting salary and academic rank based on qualifications and experience. This is an initial five-year probationary appointment with the possibility of conversion into a continuing appointment, subject to performance and program needs
To apply please forward your cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a statement of teaching philosophy (preferably in electronic format) to:
Human Resources - Career Opportunities
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road
Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2
Fax: (250) 391-2570 Tel: (250) 391-2511
The competition will begin on August 23, 2013. Review of applications will begin September 20, 2013; however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
While Royal Roads University values all applications we receive, only those candidates chosen for further consideration will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide the names and contact information for three referees, and to arrange for the forwarding of degree transcripts directly from the granting institutions.
RRU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration.
We welcome you to visit us on-line at www.royalroads.ca for further information.