Faculty, School of Tourism and Hospitality Management, Faculty of Management
This is a new full-time position.
Royal Roads University invites your interest in a Faculty role to join our School of Tourism and Hospitality Management, within the Faculty of Management at the Assistant or Associate Professor level. The position is expected to commence in November 2012.
We currently offer a BA in International Hotel Management, a BA in Global Tourism Management and an MA in Tourism Management in both a blended (on line plus residences) format and a full-time on campus format.
As a full-time faculty member with teaching, research and content expertise in tourism, hotel and/or hospitality management, as well as program leadership experience, you will contribute to the success of the programs, our learners, and to the growth of our innovative Faculty.
Located on one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses just outside Victoria, British Columbia, Royal Roads University is Canada’s only public university created solely to address the needs of the global economy and the BC labour market through applied and professional programs. We recognize the vital role we play in shaping tomorrow’s leaders and in finding new ways to meet our world’s increasingly complex challenges. Our innovative programs are delivered in a number of ways: through a combination of enriched web-based learning and short on-campus residencies; through traditional on-campus learning; and with some programs being offered completely within the web-based learning environment.
If you’re passionate about helping others achieve their academic pursuits, enjoy working within a highly entrepreneurial, collaborative and team-based teaching environment, possess well developed interpersonal communication skills and relationship building abilities, and are interested in socially responsible business methods then we definitely want to hear from you.
To be well suited for this role you will possess the following qualifications:
- A PhD (or equivalent) or a doctoral candidate, in tourism, hotel and/or hospitality management, business, or a related field with significant related industry experience
- Demonstrated teaching excellence at the undergraduate and graduate levels (using the principles of adult learning and applied learning) in both face-to-face and distance learning environments, preferably with experience teaching international students
- A broad theoretical and practical understanding of hospitality and/or tourism management
- A passion for experiential learning, field based studies, interactive methodologies, and high student engagement on-line and in the classroom
- Ability to develop, manage, and assess student internships, exchanges, and work experience at the graduate and undergraduate levels
- Experience designing and developing curriculum at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Experience in managing a field of study within a school and in leading a team of faculty members
- Applied research experience and a desire to attract research projects and funding
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a desire to work as a team member within the University, the Faculty, and the School of Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Ability to work with industry to expand opportunities for the learners, programs and the Faculty
- International work experience related to tourism and hospitality
Our mandate, at RRU, is to offer applied, professional interdisciplinary degree programs with a focus on applied research. Royal Roads has established a reputation for innovation by offering a learning environment that blends intensive on-campus residencies with online course delivery and primarily attracts learners who are working professionals. We offer a comprehensive compensation package, with rank and starting salary based on qualifications and experience. This is an initial five-year appointment with the potential for a continuing appointment based on performance and program needs.
To apply please forward your cover letter and curriculum vitae (preferably in electronic format) to:
Human Resources - Career Opportunities
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road
Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2
Fax: (250) 391-2570 Tel: (250) 391-2511
The competition will begin on September 25th 2012 and will close on October 15th 2012; however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found. Review of interest will begin as CVs are received.
While Royal Roads University values all applications we receive, only those candidates short-listed for further consideration will be contacted. If you are sending your application via e-mail, please ensure that your electronic file is saved in MS Word or Adobe format. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed in person or using Skype.
RRU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. Preference is given to Canadian citizens and applicants with Landed Immigrant status.
Please note that two of our heritage buildings, including Hatley Castle, have some areas that are not easily accessible to persons who use wheelchairs. Please call 391-2511 for information and assistance if you are dropping off your application in person.