Under general direction, you will be responsible for maintaining the grounds within the entire National Historic Site where Royal Roads University is located. Your primary responsibility will be for a variety of grounds-keeping duties, some of which require basic skills and abilities common to the horticulture trade. This position delivers grounds services as part of the gardens and grounds service team within the National Heritage Site and promotes customer service and a professional front-door image presented by the University.
To be suitable for this role you must be capable of periods of high intensity physical work, and have an ability to work flexible hours as needed to meet the needs of the internal and external clients. In addition, you will be required to lift, carry and place heavy loads as a routine requirement of the position. Operation of a wide variety of motorized and task-specific machinery, both on and off site, is also required to perform the duties. Mechanical abilities will also be an asset as occasionally minor repairs to maintain equipment in operation may be necessary.
Education, Training and Experience
To be considered for this position, you must possess the following:
- Completion of grade 12 from a secondary school or equivalent.
- Possession of a valid Class 5 driver’s license in the Province of B. C.
- 1-year gardening work experience or completion of horticulture trade program.
- Possession of a valid B.C. Pesticide Applicator License.
- Knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) and the use of Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Basic First Aid.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To be successful in this position, you must demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to safely operate equipment related to the duties.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- General Knowledge of safe procedures involved in the work performed.
This is a full time, temporary position until September 30th, 2013 within the CUPE Local 3886 Bargaining Unit. The hourly rate is $18.08 and the University is pleased to offer a percentage of salary in lieu of benefits.
Please forward your cover letter and curriculum vitae (preferably in electronic format) to:
Competition # 13-032-C0005
Human Resources – Career Opportunities
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road
Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2
Fax: (250) 391-2570 Tel: (250) 391-2511
The competition will begin on April 15th, 2013 and will close on April 29th, 2013.
RRU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration.
Please note that two of our heritage buildings, including Hatley Castle, have some areas that are not easily accessible to persons in wheelchairs. Please call 391-2511 for information and assistance if you are dropping off your application in person.
If you are sending your application via e-mail, please ensure that your electronic file is saved in MS Word or Adobe pdf format.
Note: While RRU values all applications we receive, only those candidates short-listed for further consideration will be contacted.