Librarian (1 year Limited Term)
This is a limited term replacement recruitment of an existing position.
Reporting to the University Librarian or designate, you will provide reference and instruction support to students, staff, and faculty in a collaborative team approach with a focus on quality and superior customer support. Also, in collaboration with RRU’s information technology services staff and fellow library team members, you will assist with configuration, maintenance, integration, troubleshooting, continued evaluation, training, design, and maintenance of the library’s systems and web presence. In addition you will help to develop strategies and best practices for integrating new technologies and services into existing practices using appropriate metadata/cataloguing tools and applications.
To be well suited to this opportunity you will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
- An accredited Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS) or equivalent graduate degree (a second graduate degree is an asset)
- A minimum of one year of relevant experience, preferably in a post-secondary library environment
- Knowledge and understanding of best practices and current issues and trends in library systems and technical services and ability to anticipate emerging technology trends and their application in academic libraries
- Ability to maintain a variety of systems, including library websites, integrated library systems, and institutional repositories
- Knowledge of bibliographic and other metadata standards, including MARC, AACR2, RDA, Dublin Core and OAI-PMH.
- Excellent listening, oral, and written communication skills and superior organizational skills
- Ability to shift priorities in a demanding and rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage time and set priorities, manage multiple projects with competing deadlines, and work under pressure
- Proven record of success working in a team environment
At Royal Roads University, Librarians are members of the Royal Roads University Faculty Association (RRUFA) and are defined by excellence and achievement in a combination of three areas: librarianship, research and scholarship, and service. In addition to a collegial learning community, RRU offers a comprehensive compensation package to Librarians, with a starting salary and rank based on qualifications and experience.
This is a one year limited term position working on campus for 37.5 hours per week including some evening and weekend shifts.
To apply please forward your cover letter and curriculum vitae (preferably in electronic format) to:
Human Resources - Career Opportunities
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road
Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2
Fax: (250) 391-2570 Tel: (250) 391-2511
The competition will begin on March 14, 2013 and will close on April 1, 2013 however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
Royal Roads University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration. While RRU values all applications we receive, only those candidates short-listed for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that two of our heritage buildings, including Hatley Castle, have some areas that are not easily accessible to persons who use wheelchairs. Please call 391-2511 for information and assistance if you are dropping off your application in person.