Maintenance Worker, Facilities
This recruitment is to replenish the casual-on-call pool.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Maintenance, Physical & Environmental Resources, you will be responsible for performing a variety of maintenance duties and repairs for University facilities, including, but not limited to, minor plumbing, electrical, mechanical, painting, and building repairs.
The position is assigned duties for the physical repairs and maintenance of the University facilities, ensuring that equipment systems, structures and site services are safe for use by internal and external clients, and for promoting the professional image presented by the University.
To be well suited for this position you will possess: excellent communication skills; be mechanically inclined with the ability to operate a variety of equipment; and to be able to work well independently and within a team.
Education, Training & Experience
- Grade 12, plus two years recent experience performing duties related to the position, including one year in construction utilizing shop and hand tools, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Possession of a valid Class 5 driver’s license in the province of BC
- Knowledge of WHMIS and H&S Policy and procedures
- Knowledge of basic safety, equipment maintenance and presenting technical information
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally, in writing and by email
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to operate equipment related to duties and work performed
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- General knowledge of procedures involved in work performed
This is a casual on-call position within the CUPE Local 3886 Bargaining Unit and we cannot guarantee a set number of hours per week. The hourly rate is $18.62 and the university is pleased to offer a percentage of salary in lieu of benefits.
Please forward your cover letter and curriculum vitae (preferably in electronic format) to:
Competition # 12-101-C0017
Human Resources - Career Opportunities
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road
Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2
Fax: (250) 391-2570 Tel: (250) 391-2511
The competition will begin on November 23, 2012 and will close on December 7, 2012; however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
RRU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply however; Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration.
Please note that two of our heritage buildings, including Hatley Castle, have some areas that are not easily accessible to persons who use wheelchairs. Please call 391-2511 for information and assistance if you are dropping off your application in person.
If you are sending your application via e-mail, please ensure that your electronic file is saved in MS Word or Adobe pdf format.
Note: While RRU values all applications we receive, only those candidates short-listed for further consideration will be contacted.