Maintenance Worker, Technician
Under general direction you will perform inter-occupational general maintenance at a senior trades level or equivalent as assigned, to heating, ventilation, air conditioning, plumbing, electrical systems, carpentry, steam, power, welding, components, and infrastructure throughout all buildings and site services. The maintenance and repair will encompass duties such as maintaining, repairing and replacing components such as valves, seals, bearings, air filtration, controls and all other associated components to pumps, fans, air compressors, heating systems, sewage systems, kitchen/cafeteria equipment, monitoring devices and fire, temperature and air flow devices.
You will be responsible for quality work in a timely manner and ensuring that all duties are carried out in a safe and efficient manner and in accordance with all statutory codes and regulations and any operational systems established by the department from time to time.
Education, Training and Experience
- Able to perform duties at or approaching a Trades level of work
- Grade 12, plus five years recent experience performing duties in an institutional environment able to perform at or approaching trades level work
- Possession of a valid Class 5 driver’s license in the province of BC
- Knowledge of WHMIS and H&S Policy and procedures
- Basic Safety, Equipment Maintenance, Presenting Technical Information
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally, in writing and by email
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to operate equipment related to duties and work performed
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- General knowledge of procedures involved in work performed
This is a casual on-call position within the CUPE Local 3886 Bargaining Unit and we cannot guarantee a set number of hours per week. The hourly rate $23.54 and the University is pleased to offer a percentage of salary in lieu of benefits.
Please forward your cover letter and curriculum vitae (preferably in electronic format) to:
Competition # 13-028-C0009
Human Resources – Career Opportunities
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road
Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2
Fax: (250) 391-2570 Tel: (250) 391-2511
The competition will begin on April 8th, 2013 and close on April 22, 2013.
RRU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration.
Please note that two of our heritage buildings, including Hatley Castle, have some areas that are not easily accessible to persons in wheelchairs. Please call 391-2511 for information and assistance if you are dropping off your application in person.
If you are sending your application via e-mail, please ensure that your electronic file is saved in MS Word or Adobe pdf format.
Note: While RRU values all applications we receive, only those candidates short-listed for further consideration will be contacted.