Research Assistant - Centre for Livelihoods and Ecology
This is a new, part-time, temporary position
Royal Roads University is seeking applications from experienced and motivated individuals who are currently enrolled as students in a Canadian university, for a part-time Research Assistant position. Reporting to Dr. Brian Belcher, Director of the Centre for Livelihoods and Ecology, you will contribute to a literature review on defining and assessing research quality in a transdisciplinary context.
There is a strong movement internationally toward results-based management, with funders seeking evidence that the programs they fund are effective and with increasing efforts to link funding decisions to results. This is true in research as it is in other sectors. State governments, multi-lateral organizations, private foundations, and other research funders seek “proof” of research quality, and research managers in universities and various research agencies are looking for ways to measure and evaluate research programs, faculty and scientists on the basis of the quality or excellence of their work. How to define research quality has been a perennially difficult challenge. It is even more difficult as the nature of research changes, with increasing emphasis on relevance and practical application in many research contexts. Interdisciplinary research approaches complicate issues by bringing different disciplinary evaluation criteria to bear. Transdisciplinary approaches, which have a strong problem orientation and which involve a range of partners in the process of knowledge creation and utilization, have even broader objectives and so seem to require different definitions and different measures of quality.
This project aims to contribute to a clearer conceptualization and definition of research quality in a transdisciplinary context through a review of the literature on research quality, research excellence, research effectiveness and research impact to:
- Take stock of current standards and approaches;
- Identify and review new and emerging approaches;
- Develop a conceptual framework for defining and measuring transdisciplinary research quality;
- Recommend promising tools and approaches for research quality evaluation;
- Identify priority research questions that need to be addressed.
As the research assistant you will work with the Principal Investigator to:
- Do a comprehensive search of the literature to identify relevant titles (journal articles, books, monographs, web-sites, other);
- Select and review the most relevant literature;
- Summarize the main issues and gaps, with a focus on the definition and evaluation of research quality in a transdisciplinary context;
- Collate references in a reference data-base;
- Contribute to the analysis and synthesis of lessons in a final report.
Required Qualifications/Competencies (education, skills and abilities):
- Master’s degree or working towards a Master’s degree
- Current enrolment in a relevant Masters or Doctoral program
- Good qualitative analytical skills
- Skills and experience of literature reviews
- Evaluation experience would be an asset
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including proven oral and written communication skills
- Intermediate computer skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule
- Remote working is possible, however you will be expected to be on campus as required
This is a part time, temporary position (15 – 22.5 hours per week) starting December 2012 until June 2013. The hourly rate is $20.00 - $25.00 depending on qualifications. Due to its temporary nature, this position is not eligible for enrolment in the University’s Benefit Plan, but you will be provided with 4% vacation pay.
Please forward your cover letter and resume (preferably in electronic format) to:
Human Resources - Career Opportunities
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road
Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2
Fax: (250) 391-2570 Tel: (250) 391-2511
The competition will begin on November 28, 2012 and will close on December 12, 2012; however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found. Candidates may also be considered for on-call work.
While Royal Roads University values all applications we receive, only those candidates short-listed for further consideration will be contacted. RRU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration.
Please note that two of our heritage buildings, including Hatley Castle, have some areas that are not easily accessible to persons who use wheelchairs. Please call 391-2511 for information and assistance if you are dropping off your application in person.
If you are sending your application via e-mail, please ensure that your electronic file is saved in MS Word or Adobe pdf. format.