Recruitment & Talent Management
ph: (250) 391-2600 ext. 4381
Fax: (250) 391-2570
Location: Nixon 225
Employee Orientation at RRU
Royal Roads University is committed to its employees and to the investment of ensuring their orientation is welcoming, informative and meaningful. A successful program shapes a new employee's experience and can have a lasting impression. Human Resources has developed a comprehensive program that will highlight our organizational goals, values, culture, service commitment, our expectations of our employees and in turn what they can expect from us.
All elements and the fundamental purpose of this program is aligns with RRU's Five-Year Strategic Direction. To become a recognized leader, a generative work culture and a high-performance organization, we nurture and promote RRU's competencies by:
- Building strategic alliances (interpersonal Relationships)
- Fostering trust (Personal Effectiveness)
- Vision and goal setting (Achieving Business Results)
- Promoting empowerment (Leading People)
Investing in our people means investing in our future.
New Employee Orientation Program Desired Outcomes
Our new employee will:
- Feel welcome as a member of the RRU community
- Possesses the core knowledge and understanding of RRU that support him/her in the alignment of individual work plans and goals with the strategic goals and vision of the organization
- Experience and understand our unique culture and values, and is an active contributor to its sustainability and continual improvement
- Engage fully in the organization
Departmental Orientation Desired Outcomes
Our new employee will:
- Understand his/her position outcomes and responsibilities
- Understand departmental goals and the strategic vision of the University, and recognize how his/her job contributes to their achievement
- Have a good understanding of departmental procedures, customs and traditions
- Feel like part of the team, and is supported by his/her manager, their navigator and colleagues during his/her transition into the workplace
- Have access to the resources and information necessary to assist him/her in becoming a successful member of the department/division and the organization
Tools For a Successful Orientation - Provided by Human Resources
University Welcome Package
An information package is given to all new employees prior to their start date (or given to their hiring manager) and contains:
- Welcome letter from the President and AVP (Human Resources)
- Welcome letter from Payroll with applicable start-up forms
- Welcome letter from Security, parking pass forms and campus map
- Employee checklist
- Various (marketing) information on RRU
- Free week-one parking pass
A welcome gift is presented to all regular employees on their first day of work or placed on their desk before their arrival.
Benefits Meeting with Benefits Administrator
Where applicable, a meeting request is sent from the Benefits Administrator to the new employee within their first week of work to review their benefits and complete the necessary application forms. A benefits booklet is given to the new employee at this time.
Advisor Meeting with Human Resources Advisor
Where applicable (for faculty and CUPE only), a meeting will be scheduled with an HR Advisor after their benefits meeting to briefly discuss key RRUFA or CUPE information. A hard copy of the collective agreement is given to the new employee at this time.
One-On-One Contact with Human Resources Associate
A human resources associate will make contact with all new employees during their first week of employment at RRU to offer support and information guidance.
New Employee Orientation Workshop
Please see the New Employee Orientation Workshop Overview and Workshop Itinerary for more details on this informative and exciting workshop for new employees.
Monthly Employee Tours
Offered monthly and facilitated by one of our knowledgeable gardeners, these entertaining lunch-time tours highlight a different area of the campus each month. Each new employee receives a personal invite from HR to attend, but all RRU employees are encouraged to sign-up via monthly Crossroads announcements.
Tools for a Successful Orientation - Provided by the Hiring Department
Navigator / Peer Support
We use an informal "peer support system at RRU in addition to the direction and assistance provided by the supervisor. Peer support individuals, whom we call Navigators, help new employees "navigate" the university by:
- Introducing new employees to other members of the community
- Answering day-to-day operational questions
- Assisting new employees to understand our culture and norms
Navigators are selected by their departmental manager/director to assist new employees upon their arrival. The role of departmental Navigator can change hands over time to be taken on by two or more individuals when necessary.
There are many advantages to having and being a Navigator within a department. It can offer the opportunity to:
- Build business partnerships
- Further develop ones leadership skills
- Promote inclusion and increase productivity within the department
In order to bring together those individuals who make such a positive impact on our new employees, and RRU Welcome Wagon committee has been established and consists of all the departmental Navigators on campus. For more information, please see the Welcome Wagon Committee page.
Checklists, handbooks and other Orientation Resources
For the Employee
Orientation checklists and support materials for new employees can be found on the New Employee Orientation page. Immediately relevant documents are also included in the University Welcome Package. Website resources for the new employee include:
- New employee checklist
- A safe welcome to our campus checklist
- Telephone instructions and long distance code authorization form
- Campus map and campus parking information
- Payroll forms
- EMS reference documents
- General campus information (recreation centre, Habitat, gift shop, etc)
For more resources, visit our New Employee Orientation page.
For the Hiring Manager
Orientation checklists and support materials for managers can be found on the Hiring Manager page. Immediately relevant documents are also included in the University Welcome Package. Website resources for the hiring manager include:
- For the hiring manager - Checklist
- Manager's guide to employee orientation at RRU
- A safe welcome to our campus information form
For more resources, visit our Hiring Manager page.
For the Navigator
Orientation information for the Navigator can be found on our Navigator / Department page.